From the very origin of this institution, special emphasis has been laid on the enrichment of library and increasing its resourcefulness. The college library, along with the college, got its affiliation in 1946. With the support of Mr. B. G. Rao and his better-half Mrs. Amiya Rao, the first principal of this college, and the educationists of this region, the college library began a glorious journey that has remained intermittent till now. It was in 1948 that the building of the college got shifted from Begamkuthi to Barrack Square and the library was named ‘Amiya Granthagar’. In July 1956 the college, along with its library was shifted to its present building. However, because of the dearth of a separate library building, the small room of the then Communicative English Dept. had been used as the library hall.

During the 60’s the northern and southern blocks of the college building were integrated and the hall room in the ground floor of the two-storied building built on the western side of the college (presently room no. 13) came to house the library.

Later on, with the financial aid of UGC a separate library building was erected. On 6th September 1964 honorable education secretary of West Bengal Dr. Dhirendra Mohan Sen inaugurated the newly built college library. This library section on the ground floor consisted of three rooms- the first room on the northern side was used as the library office; the second one was used as the main stack; the third room was used as the reading room.


Total area of Library712.52
Reading space: Ground floor 19.32
First floor 59.09
Seating capacity: Ground floor 15
First floor 65


The major portion of the ground floor is used as a stack room.

  • There are two floors in the library:


  • The books on the following subjects are available: Economics, Geography, Environmental Science, sociology, Political Science, Sanskrit, History, Philosophy, Bengali (New collection), Zoology, Botany, Physiology, Physical Education.
  • Book Bank Section
  • Donation section: A special collection of books donated by Founder Principal Prof. Amiya Rao, Former Principal Prof Priti Gupta, Former Principal Prof.Kamala Roy, Prof. Mery Sarker and Prof. Sachindra Nath Ghosh has been kept in the ground floor.
  • Journal Section: Back vols. of all subscribed journals are available.
  • Reference Section: Encyclopedia of different subjects, Books of General Interest,Dictionaries of different subjects, collections related to Murshidabad District and Berhampore Girls’ College, Album of photographs of different events, Maps, CD &DVDs are available.
  • Staff Reading Room
  • Office Room of Library
  • Collection of year wise Question Papers for staff
  • One ProLiant ML110 Gen9 Server
  • No. of Computer : 05
  • No. of Printer: 03
  • No of Scanner: 01
  • No of CCTV camera: 08

1st FLOOR:

  • The books on the following subjects are available: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, Computer Sc., Hindi, Bengali(Old collection which includes special collections of Rabindranath Tagore)
  • Journal Display Board of the current issues
  • Reading room for students
  • Students’ circulation counter
  • Career Guidance Books and periodicals
  • Open racks which consists near about 2000 books of various subject to facilitate students and staff for easy access of books in the reading room.
  • Succeeding volumes of two journals (Resonance and EPW).
  • Collection of year wise Question Papers , Syllabuses and Maps for students
  • One Xerox machine for reprography service
  • No. of Computer: 03
  • No. of printer: 02
  • No of Scanner: 01
  • No of CCTV camera: 08
Log in to your account:

Library Opening Hours

Monday to Friday : 10:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Saturday : 10:00 AM - 02:00 PM
Closed on Institution Holidays

About the Library Library Sub-Committee Library Staff Members Services & Facilities Library Rules & Regulations Library Collections E-Resources

Berhampore Girls College © 2021 | Powered by Koha. | Customised by Bengal Library Association.